It is an ancient medieval hill town hanging from a tuff stone over the Lente River.
Sorano territory was inhabited since the Etruscan period, as demonstrated by the remarkable discoveries of settlements and ancient necropolis. The city was founded as an ancient estate of the Aldobrandeschi family. After the marriage between Anastasia, the last heir of the Aldobrandeschi, and Romano Orsini in 1293, control of Sorano passed to the Orsini family. In 1556, Sorano passed into the hands of the Medici together with the nearby Pitigliano.
Sorano is also characterized by a maze of alleys, courtyards, arches, portals ashlar work, external stairs, loggias and cellars dug into the tufa where in the past were performed on the various phases of the harvest. Around the historical center, Sorano owns a small urban area, developed in an orderly manner from the sixties of the twentieth century thanks to urban interventions regulators.
The first documents about the history of Sorano dates back to the 3rd century BC.